This week is the anniversary of The Birds being released in cinemas back in 1963.
It made stars of Tippi Hedren and Rod Taylor.
But let’s focus on the supporting cast, and see where else we may recognise them from.
1. Veronica Cartwright played ‘Cathy’ the schoolgirl and younger sister of Rod Taylor’s character ‘Mitch’
16 years later, film fans may recognise her as ‘Lambert’ in the 1979 sci fi film Alien – as the navigator of the Nostromo
2. Ethel Griffes portrayed the ornithologist ‘Mrs Bundy’ that Tippi Hedren and Rod Taylor meet in the restaurant.
28 years earlier she appeared opposite Greta Garbo as Madame Kartasoff in Anna Karenina (1935) (pictured in the centre)
3. Charles McGraw also appeared in the restaurant scene in The Birds, as the fisherman Sebastian Sholes.
Film lovers may recognise him as Kirk Douglas’ trainer ‘Marcellus’ in Spartacus. (pictured on the right).
McGraw holds the distinction of being directed by Hitchcock and Kubrick.
4. Ruth McDevitt’s pivotal role in The Birds was as the pet shop sales lady Mrs MacGruder
For fans of The Parent Trap two years earlier (1961), they would recognise her as the camp counsellor Miss Inch.
5. Joe Mantell plays the travelling salesman , who we meet in the restaurant.
Famously, 11 years later, he appeared in Chinatown as Lawrence Walsh who speaks the famous lines ‘Forget it Jake, It’s Chinatown’
6. Malcolm Atterbury portrays Al Malone, a police deputy who appears in the restaurant scene.
More famously he appeared in North By Northwest as the man who tells Cary Grant that it is strange that a cropduster is dusting where there is no crops.
- by Rhett Bartlett
Follow me on twitter – @dialmformovies
Screenshots courtesy of Wikipedia, Hitchcock Wiki, Google, Avelyman